In the two weeks following the birth of my second daughter, we were blessed every other day by friends bearing home-cooked meals. Out of these meals sprang two new family favorites: Smothered steaks and Texas-style Lasagna. Believe me, you cannot go wrong with this recipe. I’ve been asked for it time and again. Definite keeper.
Why not make two and bless someone else in your circle of friendship?
- 1.5 lbs ground beef, browned with grease drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (I use garlic powder to taste)
- 1 (1.25) oz pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 12 flour tortillas (6″) torn into fourths (can also use corn tortillas)
- 3.5-4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In large skillet brown meat; drain and add seasonings, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and chilies; mix well. Simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese and eggs
- In a greased 9×13″ baking dish, layer half of meat sauce, half of tortillas, half of cottage cheese mixture and half of M.J. cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.