Freezing Apple Pie Filling

In 2004, I discovered this wonderful recipe! Made some adjustments, and ever since, I’ve “mega-cooked” my apple pie fillings. The following recipe truly does store in the freezer for up to a year…in fact, just the other day I thawed one that I’d put up last September and the resulting pie was super!

Apple Pie Filling

• 24 cups sliced peeled baking apples (6-7 lbs)
  • 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 4 ½ cups sugar (I use half brown sugar, half white)
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 10 cups water

In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside. In a Dutch oven (large kettle works) over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes. Ladle into freezer containers, leaving ½ inch headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 ½ hours. Seal and freeze; store for up to 12 months. Yield: 5 ½ quarts (enough for about five 9-inch pies).

Okay, here are my tips. Instead of quart jars, I use gallon-sized freezer bags. Let the filling cool a bit before filling the bags (one quart per bag) and then flatten the bag to freeze it. This way, you can stack the “boards” of filling in your freezer and slide one out when needed. Less space needed, and the thawing time is shorter. After thawing, I heat mine up on the stove or in the microwave before putting it in my pie crust, and dot it with butter before sealing the top crust.

Along the same lines, you can stack and freeze your pie crusts. Roll them in your 8 or 9″ circles between wax paper, and stack them together in one of those two gallon freezer bags. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using!

For a whole lot of fascinating information on making pie crust, and several recipes for “the perfect pie crust” go to Simply Recipes.

My pastry recipe is an old family one–tried and true–that uses butter-flavored Crisco. In light of that, here’s something I learned, that I’ll pass on, from the above site:

“The problem with shortening is that until recently, Crisco shortening contained a lot of transfats. Fortunately, they’ve come out with a new version, in a green can, that has 0 grams of trans fats.”

Now go make some pie!

This entry was posted in Cooking and Food, Mega Cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Freezing Apple Pie Filling

1. Mary says:

Hi Paula,
    This recipe is enough to make five 9″ pies. I thaw mine overnight before I bake, and I do reheat it a bit on the stovetop before putting it in my pie crusts.

Hope this helps!
    Mary

2. Kelley says:

How long do I cook the pies for and at what tempatures?

3. Mary says:

Good question! I always reheat my filling after it thaws, and then bake it at least 30-45 minutes in a 350 degree oven, or till crust is golden and pie filling bubbly. Hope this helps, Kelley!

4. Pingback: Thoughts on sustainability | Cozy Crooked Cottage

5. Pingback: Pie fillings : Apple Pie Filling To Freeze Or Can

6. Marcia says:

Wondering if this recipe would make a good apple crisp?

7. Mary says:

Yes, Marcia, it’s great with a crumb or crisp topping! :O)

8. Becky Carpenter says:

This, also, sounds quite a bit like the filling for my apple pandowdy that my family loves.

9. Joan Williamson says:

I just tried to make this pie filling. I ended up with applesauce. I measured everything carefully and followed the recipe carefully. I added more cornstarch and that wouldn’t even thicken it up. I have no idea what went wrong. I’ll never use it again. Sorry to sound mad, but honestly, I’m a tried and true baker from way back, not a newbie. This recipe should be removed from the site. I’d do that anyway. It cost me a whole bunch of apples. It’s too sweet for applesauce because I put honey or just a tad of sugar in mine, not cups. Oh well. The apples were donated by my church for me to make several pies for a function. Now I’ll have to buy them to replace what I lost.

10. KTN says:

Do you recommend to pre-bake the crust before baking with the filling?

11. Mary says:

Hi KTN, no, don’t prebake the crust, just add your warmed up filling to the unbaked pie dough lined pie plate and top with crust, as usual! Sorry I didn’t see this sooner!

12. Mary says:

I’m so sorry Joan! I’ve never had any trouble with this recipe and use it every year. That is strange, and I am so sorry for all the trouble and time you lost trying this recipe. This is a recipe I originally got from Taste of Home, and we all know that they test all their recipes in their test kitchens before putting their name on them. I would chalk it up to a fluke, maybe the type of apples, or some other anomaly. Very sorry it didn’t turn out for you.

–Mary

13. Mary says:

Hi Becky, I haven’t made apple pandowdy in SO long! I forgot about it…will have to dig up that recipe, we are inundated with apples right now! Thanks for the comment!

14. michele says:

I think this works great!

15. patricia l van dyke says:

Just made this apple pie filling. Delicious, thanks so much

16. Emily says:

I made this recipe in October, 2012 and just now got around to making a pie with it – it turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

17. Ola says:

i just made this recipe and i think something went terribly wrong! i ended up with too much liquid! when you freeze the filling how much apple/sauce ratio do you put? because i know that apple filling should not be watery , so now am confused! i put half apples half sauce in the freezer bags but do u think when i come to use it in an apple pie i should just pick the apples out of the sauce and just use that? also any suggestions on what to do with the rest of the sauce i have? can it be of any use to me? it would be a waste to throw it out, what should i do with it?

18. Heather says:

My toddler and I went apple picking this weekend and came home with 90lbs of apples. I was making my list of things to make and a friend linked me to this recipe. My bags are currently cooling. There was a smudge of the filling left so I served it with dinner. It was delicious! I have no idea what the self proclaimed “true baker” did wrong because it most definitely was not the recipe.

19. Sandy says:

I just finished making this recipe. It was the first time I attempted to make pie filling freezer apples. It turned out awesome and made the house smell so good. I will definitely make this again and again. I highly recommend this recipe to all. Thank you to all that made comments about the crust, heating filling and baking instructions. I am excited to have this in the freezer for winter use.

20. Karen says:

Do you use one quart for each 9in pie?

21. Kristine says:

Just discovered this recipe after given a bunch of apples. Worked perfectly. Thank you for sharing it.

22. Cathy says:

I use this recipe every year and it works great, but I only use 5 cups of water because I use just picked apples and they have more water in them.

23. kathy says:

loved the outcome of this recipe. I cut it in half, not enough apples and used potato starch instead of corn starch, same exchange amounts. the filling looks and tastes good. thank you

24. Mary says:

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I just made and apple pie using a different recipe and am not too fond of it. It didn’t use cinnamon or nutmeg in it just sugars butter and flour. The house now smells of burnt sugar (where it boiled over onto the cooking sheet under the pie.). I’ll post again after I make this. I’ll make 1 pie and freeze the rest!!!!

25. Pingback: Freezer Apple Pie Filling For Up To 5 Pies | Parsnips and Parsimony