I made these Saturday night for a quick, stick-to-your ribs Sunday breakfast…both must haves for Sunday mornings at our house!
They remind me of the fruit and yogurt parfaits available at McDonald’s…which we’ve often recreated here at home! This recipe came out of the November 2007 issue of Parents magazine, it promises plenty of protein, calcium and fiber. My kids weren’t as fond of the couscous addition as I was, but as long as they had a bit of yogurt on each bite, they were fine with it.
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dry whole-wheat couscous
- 1 pkg (12 oz) frozen mixed berries
- 2 containers (6 oz) vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat granola
1. In a small saucepan, bring milk and salt just to boiling. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
2. Divide couscous among six 8-oz plastic cups (or to-go containers with lids). Top each with frozen berries and yogurt. Cover and chill overnight. Top with granola before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 199 cal; 8 g protein; 2 g fat; 4o g carb; 167 mg calcium; 5 g fiber.