I think one of my favorite things about winter is that we can never go overboard on soups! And to think my dh, prior to being married, thought soups were for sick people! Not hearty beef stews, chicken and dumplings, or chili with cornmeal dumplings! And what is soup without crackers?
This is a fun project for the daughters, and a great way to showcase their efforts at mealtime! And credit for these, as well as a great homemade tomato soup recipe, goes to Mrs. Lydia at the Home Living blog. Be sure to visit her sometime, she’s a wealth of encouragement to stay at home wives and mothers.
Homemade Soda Crackers
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- salt to taste
- Mix flour, baking powder and shortening–add milk and blend well.
- Form a ball of dough and cut into four pieces.
- Roll dough out very thin.
- Cut with a cookie cutter or the top of a glass (wet the glass first).
- Place on cookie sheet. Prick with a fork 4-5 times and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375 degrees 8 to 10 minutes or until golden (watch crackers carefully so they don’t burn).
Mmm! Perfect alongside your soups this winter!