Fall is definitely in the air! And so perfect for having Cream of Asparagus Soup for lunch, baking bread ALL day, and boy do I have a recipe for you!
It’s called smelling-the-house-up-like-the-holidays-oh-my…if you have an Apple-Peeler-Corer-Slicer, this is a great way to put it to use. And the kids will be wowed. Over and over again. ;O)
Spiced Oven-dried Apple Slices
- 4 apples, sliced with Apple/Peeler/Corer/Slicer and cut in half
- 1 tsp cardamom seed, ground up in a coffee grinder (opt)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 fresh nutmeg, ground (or just cheat and use ground nutmeg–about 1/2 tsp)
- 5 tsp sugar
- Put cardamom seed into a coffee grinder and grind till fine–add rest of sugar and spices and give a couple of whirls to mix into a fine powder.
- Lay parchment paper on 2 cookie sheets/pans.
- In storage bag, add spices and apples and toss gently to coat, shaking excess spices off. Place on parchment in a single layer.
- Dry in a 250 degree F oven for 1-3 hours depending on how juicy the apples are.
- They come out sweet, crisp and tart.
- Store in an airtight container–if you have any left after the kid attack!
Nothing so wonderful as having a day at home, all together, wearin’ our long johns and sweatshirts and baking to capture the warm fuzzies. ‘Course, with all this extra baking we were still doing schoolwork at 7 pm…but, ya know, we’re homeschoolers. We get to do these things. ;O)
Love to you all,